Positive Lifeskills

This is my radical blog. Tread with caution here.I strongly feel that happiness is so simple, yet we humans have made it so elusive.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Provocation in cases of sexual abuse

Females who dress provocatively, are themselves responsible ( at least, partially) for bad things like lewd remarks, rape etc that happen to them.
Whenever I have made this statement, I have comfortably managed to get myself labeled as a conservative, anti-women's lib and usually a 'man with a warped mind'.
Well, all that can be attributed to me ONLY if I have made any value judgment. Actually, I am only making a factual statement, not a value judgment.
Provocative dresses affect male physiology in a manner that the evil things that follow are only the natural consequence of same. Whether the male physiology SHOULD be or SHOULD NOT be affected by the provocations caused is another matter and has to be answered by the Lord Almighty, not me. In the present scheme of things, it does. Period.
Let me also slip in a bit of value judgment now. Leaving a house open does attract thieves and any robbery therein can be, at least partially, attributed to the carelessness in leaving it unlocked. The blame does not pass off from the thief to the house owner, but the house owner can not be fully absolved either.
You might argue here that rape etc also happens to girls who are decently dressed. I agree. However, that in no way means that provocative dressing does not start the chain of events which is likely to result in bad things. It would be bad logic to accept this.
In urdu, there is a good ' sher' ( couplet ) to suggest the same. It goes like this -
Sabhi mujhse kehte hain ki nazarein nichi rakh
Koi unse nahin kehta, ' Yoon na chalo ayan ho kar'
Roughly tranlated, it means - Everyone tells me to keep my eyes low. Nobody tells her not to move so provocatively.
See you.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home